Monday, August 07, 2006

M. Night Shyamalan is the coolest person I don't know

So I meant to write this on August 5, Night's b-day, but the days have gotten away from me. I'm slightly freaking out about school beginning so soon. But enough about me. Let's talk about "Lady in the Water," M. Night Shyamalan's new film. It has debuted to stifling reviews, and it seems that more people than less are not a fan of his newest release, and even those who are sound like they're making excuses for his new movie.

But I don't have to make excuses for Night's new film. The film speaks for itself, which is what his films are intended to do. He seems to me a deeply hopeful person who is trying to affect his audience. He's not in filmmaking to make a quick buck. He's in it for the long haul. Which is the first and most important reason I love MNS. He keeps making films despite what others say; it's the same in writing: if you write to be famous, give up now. You should write because you love it. And it seems to me, MNS loves it.

His new film is a fairy tale made up by MNS, told to his children as a bedtime story made into a film here. The film takes place in an apt.complex in Philly (where else if you know MNS) and focuses on a Mr. Heap, the fixer-upper of the place. Mr. H finds a young woman swimming in the pool after hours, and once they meet, the fairy tale begins. As the film goes on, there are some signature MNS moves, but this by no means is a scary film. It's a children's tale, and is not meant to be any more than that. While I agree that the film seemed a little underdeveloped and rushed, I know that when I go to see an MNS film, I will be entertained and I will leave the theatre inspired and hopeful.

And that's why MNS is a great filmmaker. Filmmaking isn't supposed to be what it is today, it's supposed to tell a story that is an adventure, and make us step into the story unconsciously. That's what he does.

This may not be his best film, but it certainly meets the MNS guarantee: you will be inspired, you will be provoked, but best of all, you will leave the theatre more at peace than when you arrived.

sigh. A Good Night Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home