Saturday, July 29, 2006

I Love Allan Stewart Konisberg

In other words, Woody Allen.

So Partner and I just went to see the new Woody Allen flick "Scoop" with Scarlett Johannson, Hugh Jackman, and of course, everyone's favorite neurotic, narcissist, pessimist cynic. I do not mean that in a sarcastic way. Do not insert sarcasm here. Because it was fab. It was witty, it was like a really efficient paper cut: sharp, stings, and was painfully clever.

I've never been much for Woody Allen having never been exposed to much of his stuff before; being 26, I wasn't exposed to much of his earlier '70s films, and was before my time. But that all changed when Partner and I went to see "MatchPoint," another WA film released last year, and it turned out to be a brilliant commentary on love, relationships, fidelity, morality, and betrayal. Well done and shockingly intoxicating (like a car wreck you just have to stare at) it enveloped me, wrapped around me like I had sprouted wings and got cold. It was refreshing; not like these other droll films I see again and again; it was somewhat a british flick, and now so is "Scoop," set in London with all british supporting cast.

It was bitingly funny, ascerbicly witty, neurotic, entertaingly droll. But most of all it was a film that was funny as it was a mystery, a whodunit, a thrill ride with both thrill and fun. Nice.

So I have decided to contribute some time in getting to know more of Woody Allen's work. He's hysterically funny, charmingingly so, even when he's talking about sex or love.

In "Scoop" he's one of the main characters, and he's like an entertaining grandfather, the one we wished we had had, an endearing counterpart to Scarlett Johanson's morbidly honest character, a girl who is starkly literal in a way that makes you fall for her character; they are so perfect together as a team of crackpot reporters posing as father and daughter you'd think they really were. Go see it. You'll be glad you did. It's a very very funny, entertaining flick. And that's TWO verys.

ps: Anthony Stewart Head makes a brief cameo as a detective. For that reason alone, Woody Allen is the new black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home